Genuine kindness is no ordinary act, but a gift of rare beauty.
-Sylvama Rossetti

Sunday, April 22, 2012

I'll lend you for a little time...

A Child Loaned 

"I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine." God said. For you to love all the while he lives, and mourn for when he's gone. It may be six or seven years or twenty-two or three. But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me? He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and should his stay be brief, you'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief. 


I cannot promise he will stay, since all from Earth return, but there are lessons taught down there I want the child to learn. I've looked this wide world over and in my search for teacher's true, I have selected for his mother- YOU. Now will you give him all your love, nor think the labour vain? Nor hate me when I come to call and take him back again? 


I fancied that I heard her say, "Dear Lord, Thy will be done, for all the joy this child shall bring, the risk of grief I'll take. I'll shelter him with tenderness, I'll love him while I may, and for the happiness I've known, forever grateful stay. But should the angels call for him much sooner than I planned, I'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand."



 Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!